As the 4th of July approaches, we would like to let everyone know that legal fireworks are still allowed in the Town of Firestone and the Town of Frederick. Colorado has a state-wide ban on fireworks that explode or leave the ground, except for using pre-approved public displays.
As a reminder we are experiencing very high temperatures and dry conditions. Please be aware of your surrounding and practice good fire safety!
What are Legal Fireworks?
In general, sparklers and fountains are permitted. In other words, fireworks that do not leave the ground. Here are some examples of Safe and Sane fireworks in Colorado.
- Cylindrical Fountains
- Cone Fountains,
- Ground spinner
- Dipped Sticks and Sparklers
- Explosive Auto Alarms
Toy Propellant Devices
- Cigarette Loads
- Trick Noise Makers
- Snake or Glow Worm,
- Pressed Pellets
- Shower of sparks to a height of no more than fifteen feet above the ground
What are illegal fireworks?
It is defined by the State of Colorado as the following:
- Illegal fireworks include various aerial devices, M-80s, quarter-sticks, half-sticks and other large firecrackers.
- Any firecracker with more than 50 milligrams of explosive powder and any aerial firework with more than 30 milligrams of flash powder are banned.
- In other words, if it leaves the ground it is illegal.
Other important information:
- If you choose to celebrate with legal fireworks please remember to dispose of the correctly in a bucket of water or a metal nonflammable container.
- Do not let children under 16 use fireworks and supervise older children
- Sparklers need to be handled carefully too because they can burn at more than 1,000 degrees. Light them one at a time at arm’s length. Always wear gloves while holding a sparkler, and never give one to a child under 5 years of age.
- If you choose to possess or use illegal fireworks, you could receive a ticker from your local law enforcement agency.
For more information, please contact the Frederick-Firestone Fire District at 303.833.2742 or visit the website at www.fffd.us.